Your local Division of Motor Vehicle or DMV can be a promising source of public records you need. However, there are things that you still need to know about the records you can acquire in here. The act is called the “Driver’s Privacy Protection Act.”
This act is a federal law regulating how the DMW release and share the information to requesters. The DPPA also regulates how the motor vehicle department release driver records as well as vehicle records and your ability to access these DMV records. DPPA also is responsible in handling how recipients of DMV records share this information with other person. Basically the act also restricts some records such as
In case you are to access these, this information remain protected:
• Name, birth date and the driver’s mailing address
• License class, endorsement as well as restrictions of the driver
• Status and expiration date of the license
• Suspensions or revocations the driver had as well as accidents and moving violation convictions
• Social Security numbers
• Abstract of registration has the vehicle information, the registrant’s name and mailing information and the license expiry date.
• Title abstract will also contain information of the vehicle, the owner’s name and mailing address and information on the current lien.
On the other hand, you will be able to access –
• The 5 digit zip of the driver’s address, criminal convictions, traffic violations, accidents as well as driving restrictions.
All other information which is considered protected by the DPPA will only be released by the DMV to those who have a permissible use for the information. A person will only be qualified for permissible use if;
• They are government or law enforcement agents,
• There are cases of motor vehicle safety, theft or accidents
• For legitimate businesses or their agents to prevent fraud.
• To be used in court systems for criminal, civil and other processes.
• To be used in researches for unrevealed identities.
• For vehicles that are impounded
• For licensed private investigative agency and security services
• For state government matters
• As requested with a written consent of the motorist.
In case of a request for an accident report from the department, you need to have a valid reason and proof for your requests. These reasons maybe;
•Involvement in the accident,
•Named in the accident or their authorized representative
•Sued due to the accident
•Accident is used for governmental manner and statistical research
The Department of Motor Vehicles is really a good source of state and public records that are useful for motorist and car owners. Yet, due to the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act, there is a need for valid reasons and proof for requesters to obtain necessary information. A licensed investigator may also be afforded an access to the protected records of the department. When requesting for information, you need to remember the Freedom of Information Act and your right to access public and state information.